Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ice glaze on the world

An ice storm covered the Mid-Atlantic this morning, glazing ,encrypting and holding this world right where I need to remember it
I woke up late this morning, deep in sleep I struggled to reach the Phone, screaming for my attention. why do I even answer it - it is rude. It interrupts conversations, plays loud sounds in movie theatres, and even frequently disturbs a tender moment when all is good.
I should be awake, the caller says- but no, they forgot I have been Ill lately.
I was dreaming , I was on the water, alone.
Sailing following the song of the wind over the waves, gentle lapping calling for my soul song to sing out this is real, this is life, find me and take me to the furthest shore!
I sought refuge in my solitude and the incessant ringing brought me back to this world.
the Land of Broken Dreams
where your house was just another foreclosure, a payment away from being a home, freedom as attainable as the wind through your open hands, the ones you call your family live beyond your mournful grasp,and you wonder why you bother with the next payment
a payment from your heart full of blood and tears and sweat
but it's a payment on someone Else's debt and the interest is killing you
because it's not what you want anymore
it's really not what you ever wanted
It's a dream they sold me when I was too young to know better
in a time when love was special and lasted forever and a day
before you were revealed to be as the Romans said "monstros, horribile in aspectum"
before you discovered the truth about life and survival in the world was less like a jungle
Ne amo te Sabide, nec possum dicere qua re.

now I see my only escape is to get away
I heard the sea call before
but I only came to the beach
and run in fear like a child when the waves crested above my small learning
for years I have ignored the sirens and their deadly call, but when the fear of staying as I am
surpasses the fear of finding true life I will sail into the eye of the Hurricane and therein find my solitary peace

No comments:

Post a Comment